1 (9- or 10-inch) piecrust.
3 apples (use a soft, sweet variety like McIntosh or other sauce variety)
1 (12-ounce) package fresh whole cranberries
1 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup white flour
3 tablespoons butter, softened or cut into bits
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
• Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
• Prepare the piecrust and fit into a 9- or 10-inch pie pan.
• Peel, core and dice the apples.
• Place the apple pieces in a large bowl with the cranberries and 1 cup of light brown sugar; mix well and place into the pie shell.
• Place the walnuts in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade; pulse for 5 seconds.
• Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until blended but still crumbly. (If you don't have a food processor, chop the nuts by hand and blend them with the rest of ingredients with the back of a large spoon.)
• Spoon the topping all over the pie.
• Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees for 30 more minutes; cover with foil to prevent the topping from darkening too much.